Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hello, Mary Lou!

Mary Lou Mason at the Mason Family Reunion, June 2008

This morning, Mark called home from work to tell me that Grandma Mason passed away last night. I was surprised, but not as sad as I thought I might be. I called the children together in the kitchen, and shared the news with them. And then I told them a story to help with this new idea of loosing someone they know and love; they have never dealt with death on a personal level before.

Mary Lou's High School Senior Picture

On one visit out to Denver to the Grandma and Grandpa Mason house, I had the opportunity to sit and chat with Mary Lou. I asked her questions about when she was young, and how she and Grandpa met, and what they did when they were newlyweds. She told me that they did a lot of square-dancing. In fact (if I remember correctly), she and Chet had been dancing just the night before she ended up in the hospital with polio.

Mary Lou and Chet (I don't know if this was while they were dating or after getting engaged.)

"So," I said, "when you get to heaven, you are going to go square dancing?"
"Oh, no," she replied. "I'm going to go rollerblading!"
"Rollerblading, Grandma? What brought that on?"
"Well, I loved rollerskating, and when they first came out with those things, and I got to see someone rollerblading, I thought, well, that's it! I'm going to have to try that!"

So I told my children this story, and then I told them to think about how Grandma isn't sitting in a wheelchair in heaven. She might just be rollerblading.

Mary Lou in 1942


Although, I think she might be too busy to get to rollerblading just yet. I'm positive there was a huge welcoming committee waiting for her arrival. I wonder if you get to hold up a banner in heaven, something that says maybe, "Hello, Mary Lou!" or "You Made It!" I bet it was a joyful reunion. Both her brother and her sister, plus all of the hundreds and hundreds of family members for whom she has done the family history work and temple work. Grandma is a convert to the Church. She was the first member of her family to be baptized, so there really was a lot to be done. She didn't waste any time getting down to work, that's for sure!

Chet & Mary Lou with their children - Cindy, Ginny & Mark - 60th wedding anniversary, 2007

Three children, 19 grandchildren plus spouses, and close to 40 great-grandchildren (and counting!) that are still here and living full, happy lives because of her influence and example. We've had the great opportunity to see a lot more of Grandma and Grandpa Mason the past year and a half, when they moved from Colorado to Missouri. It's been a real treat and a blessing to have them there for family parties, baby blessing and baptisms, family home evening, and just plain old hanging out. My kids are lucky. Not everyone gets the chance to know their great-grandparents like that.

Chet & Mary Lou, June 2008

And what a GREAT great-grandmother she was! What an example of patience and love and service. She got more done from that wheelchair with half a useful hand than a lot of us who still have complete use of our bodies. It puts things into perspective.

Love you, Grandma! Thank you for your love and your friendship, and your life of example and service. What a lucky family we are to have you.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I love Mary Lou, she will be missed here on earth. I appreciate your post and the pictures...such beautiful thoughts and memories. Since Sarah is the great grandchild that I know the best...these pictures have such a likeness to Sarah! May you all find comfort during your separation from Mary Lou.

G-mom said...

Awesome tribute Amber!! We will miss her so much. I was thinking about her and how Nathanael is on his mission. My Grandma and Grandpa both died while I was on my mission, so I can relate to him and his feeling of missing them and not being able to say goodbye. Jarom feels that way too, he is still on his mission in Idaho.
Thanks for sharing that story as well. we will pass this on to our kids too.
She was an amazing example to us all and will be greatly missed.
hugs to you all.

Carolina said...

Wow, the family resemblance is so evident in all the Galbraiths and their dear Great-Grandmother. Loved the tribute and the beautiful pictures!!

Jan said...

Oh, how we will miss her.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful tribute! I love the stories and pictures. She was loved and will truly be missed.