[Polite warning: schmaltzy moment of parenting ahead, with possibly a dash of TMI.]
This morning, Yvette came running down the stairs, exclaiming in delight: "I'm dry! I'm dry! I'm dry!" I double-checked to verify her facts, and sure enough, she was dry. I may have been just as enthusiastic as she was. I certainly gave her an enthusiastic high five.
First time in MONTHS.
We've been going on and on about how she is almost five, and how her body needs to learn, and whatever. She assures me all the time that "my bladder is going to hold the pee up all night long". But in the morning, she is wet, and I try not to show my irritation because I don't want her to internalize it and have deep psychological issues in her early 20s.
Is it coincidence that two days ago I brought home a big bag of Smarties and announced to her that she could have one every morning she was dry? Maybe. I don't care. Candy before breakfast is a small price to pay for a fully housebroken four-year-old. Before she is a five-year-old. Before I start housebreaking the two-and-a-half-year-old.
No comments:
Post a Comment