The Perfect Dress
(photos by Auntie Sarah Sue)
Saturday was Gabriella's 8th birthday, and her baptism. We had loads of family come up to the 'Ville to be there for her, and then food and fun and visiting at our house afterwards.
For weeks, I was trying to find the prefect dress for her, both as a birthday gift and as a part of her baptism. Of course, I'm a purist. A dress to be worn after a baptism should be white. But finding a white dress for an eight-year-old girl that is 1) modest 2) not dripping in lace and bows and embroidery 3) not a mini-bridezilla and 4) less than $200...well, that proved to be not possible. I suppose I could have made it, but with Halloween costumes still fresh in my memory, I was not delusional. Besides, I could not find a pattern that Gabba and I liked, that was fitting for the occasion.
.JPG)
Enter the incomparable Hillary, my sister-in-law-in-law in Texas. This lady is simply amazing. I sent her an e-mail, describing what we were looking for. We chatted back and forth about the particulars and the details - pointed waist instead of straight, princess seams, super-twirly, long sleeves with something fluttery at the end, etc. She sent me a sketch. Gabba colored it in with her colors of choice (soft grey - even though it looks blue - with green trim....she's been watching the Barbie 12 Dancing Princesses movie...watch it and you'll understand). Hillary called back and talked me through all the measurements she needed. Then she .... just ... made it. And boxed it up and mailed it to us.
Gabriella felt like a true princess all day. She was so happy. Not to imply that her day was all about the dress, because it wasn't. But it certainly added to it.
.JPG)
How many little girls get to be baptized on their birthday, surrounded by dozens of family and friends, and then feel (and look!) like a princess for the rest of the day? Isn't she beautiful?
Hillary, you're amazing. Thank you.
6 comments:
oh my, it's STUNNING!!! absolutely gorgeous.
She looks beautiful -- the dress (of course) is gorgeous -- but the combination of Gabba and the dress is breathtaking. Lovely!
That dress is gorgeous!!! She looks amazing!
That dress is beautiful. You look absolutely adorable in that dress. Congrats on your baptism!!
Hillary is amazing isn't she...and Gabriella looks so beautiful. Isn't is amazing how fast these little ones grow up!
That is great!!!! Happy B-day & I think it's awesome that you have a testimony & decided to get baptized.
Your Heavenly Father is so proud! Keep the faith
Post a Comment