Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

World Class Entertainment Comes To The 'Ville

Last night, Mark and I took Gabba out for her Mommy-Daddy-Daughter date. It's a choice we give each child for their birthday: a party with their friends, doing something nifty as a family, or a Mommy-Daddy date of their choosing. Gabba REALLY likes the date thing. It's what she picked last year, too.
We went to the A&G for dinner (voted best restaurant in the county!) and then we went to the concert. I was very impressed that the University had this particular act coming to their venue. I suppose I consider The 'Ville to be a little bit po-dunk. I don't think I'm alone in that. We had front row tickets to see The 5 Browns. It was great! They really are as dynamic in person as all of the PR says they are. It was a wonderfully enjoyable performance. And, of course, I was thrilled to see that the three sisters were fashionably modest, seeing as how I had my impressionable daughter with me. I'm not going to lie: I'm not much of a concert person. It takes a lot for me to me feel like I've gotten my money's worth. But this was a great evening. They did several pieces that I recognized, and they stopped before each piece and told a little story about the piece and what was cool about it to them or what it made them think about. That was a nice addition. One piece was called Fantasia on 'Dives and Lazarus' ...they started it by explaining that it's a very old tune, and has been redone many times. They have a person who writes arrangement for them - seeing as how there's not a lot of music written for five pianos - who did this one. As they started to play, I immediately recognized it as the tune I know as "If You Could Hie To Kolob"...very cool! That piece is on their newest album, "Browns in Blue". Mark was so funny. He was completely into the whole performance. I know he wishes he could play the piano better. He's telling me all the time he wants to go back and re-learn, and maybe someday play the organ, too. Our good friends, Jesse and Rebecca brought their kids up, and joined us - which was a major plus for the Gabs, because she adores their daughters. (We combined our too-young or not-your-turn kids for babysitting at our house.) Rebecca was willing to stand in line with the girls at the end of the concert so that they could get their programs signed. Gabba was so thrilled. She and her friends were at the front of the line (I think they snuck out during the last piece for that privilege...) Gabba said she even got to chat with them, and that Melody asked her a couple of questions about playing the piano. Who knows? Maybe now she'll be inspired to practice piano without whining and being rotten. Ha!

3 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

that sounds like lots o' fun! i would have been stoked about if you could hie to kolob. it's one of my absolute faves!

sperry said...

How cool! What a fun experience for Gabba and for you! The 5 Browns do look pretty impressive :)

Jan said...

Sounds like a really wonderful evening. Time with Mom and Dad and live music -- great times!