Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Goodbye, Summer!

We had a wonderful summer. It was so, so full of friends, and fun and glorious memories. I have every honorable intention of documenting it all here, as the weather outside takes a turn for the, uhm, less summerly. (Yeah, it's over. Let it go, Amber.)

Here is one picture I took, that just seems to encapsulate the whole nostalgic summer idea. This is my Gabriella and her friend-across-the-street, making the most of our humble DIY swing in the elm tree.



That swing is a happenin' feature in our neighborhood. Pretty much every kid demands their turn. And they - and when I say "they," I mean my children and every other person under 12 in a four-block radius - shamelessly beg Mark to push them; or fearlessly twist each other up until their feet are way off the ground, only to unwind at giddy, giggling speeds.

here, the shot gets the Iconic 70s Childhood Memory treatment

Gabba and her friend didn't even know I was there. I saw them through the dining room window, and stepped quietly out on the back porch to snap a few shots. They were lost in their own world of Make-Believe and Fairies and the one of the last summers of their little-girlhood. That wooden swing seems to lend itself to such moments. It's been broken and mended twice, it is in perpetual motion. I think it is a true treasure.

Swing high, swing low!

2 comments:

Carolina said...

Dude, I even want to swing in that swing.

Georgie Girl said...

you should add the photo of our girls in their matching wal mart dresses! And go see my blogs! Heavy on the pics! PS, I saw your photo page! AWSOME!