Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Monday, November 16, 2009

Random Eliza

It's snowing outside right now. I left for Seminary at 6:15 this morning in rain/sleet. When we were done and pulling out of the parking lot, it was nothing but snow. And it hasn't stopped. I checked the weather: rain/snow/sleet/cloudy for the foreseeable future.

So, of course, the first actionable choice my children make this morning is to run outside and bring in bowls of snow, pour orange juice on it and eat it. I tolerated this behavior. I put my foot down when they were poised to do this in their pajamas, however. Because I'm the Mom: killer of fun.

After resigning themselves to my slavish requirements, and getting dressed ("Yes, change your underwear, yes, shoes and socks"...I'm so harsh), it was time to break out the gloves and hats and snow pants and boots and scarves and go out to wallow in the snow and throw it at each other.

Hyrum had on his coat - that was a little big last year but works perfectly this season - and was digging around to find his gloves. But when he found them, he couldn't get his hands in them. {sigh} Also, he doesn't fit his boots. Can't borrow mine anymore, because they are too small for him now, as well. So, he put on Mark's boots. "They're a little small, Mom, but they'll work."

Wow. I need to get over how huge this kid is, deal with it, and move on. But the shell-shock (and the sticker shock!) just keep hitting me.

He was happy to report, however, that his snow pants still fit (but only just). I was happy about that, too!

Anyway, Hyrum and Lucy and Eliza and Gabba were talking in the kitchen as they outfitting themselves for the cold, wet fun they were about to have. Hyrum said something witty about having "snow-veralls" instead of "overalls". Eliza didn't hear him properly (probably muffled by the knit cap, coat hood and fleece scarf she was entangled in), and thought he said "snot-veralls", which she repeated for clarification. "Gross!" Hyrum responded. "Yeah," Eliza agreed, "because then they would be made out of sewer water."

And thus we see, Eliza is still who she has always been, and she continues to sound more like a Cub Scout than a Little Princess.

And I'm thinking, "SOUP" for lunch!

1 comment:

scrapwordsmom said...

Em just finished her first bowl of snow ice cream for the year!!