[setting: Amber is in the kitchen, making dinner. Yvette is sitting on the counter, in her customary position as overseer and inquisitor.]Yvette: (pulling out a placemat with the solar system on it) What is this?
Amber: That is Jupiter
Yvette: Oh. So we went to Jupiter when we saw the snakes and the monkeys?
Amber: (momentary mental confusion, then makes the connection) No, that was Omaha, the zoo in Omaha.
Yvette: Oh. (pause) So we live in a zoo?
Yup. I think we do.

This is Yvette playing on the computer. My three-year-old knows how to work an internet browser, how to navigate and point-and-click, and even find a bookmarked site on the drop-down menu. Something about it feels normal, and something feels not quite right. I think she's getting a little attached. Being told "no" can bring on a tantrum that registers on the Richter scale. And exiting graciously after the timer has gone off is not the norm. But we're working on it. It is important to her that "I not a brat, Mommy," and I capitalize on that.
Here she is, playing on
Starfall. Thank you to
Rosie for tipping me off to it all those months ago. Yvette is very keen that she get her computer time. Without variation, she goes to Starfall - she calls it "the chicken game". She is getting very adept.
No comments:
Post a Comment