Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Logical Fallacy Game

Something about teenagers. I remember loving the silliness of vaguely attached statements strung together to make a conclusion that has no bearing on reality. And now my Hyrum and Gabba are having fun doing the same thing. Gabba got this one from the New Era, and memorized it: 
Working out makes you ripped; if you're ripped, you need a tan; tanning makes your skin like leather; leather comes from cows; cows are fat. Therefore, working out makes you fat.
Complete nonsense, yes, but still fun to rattle off the top of your head. I actually memorized one when I was eleven and I can recite it perfectly, and it remains my favorite to this day.
Why are fire engines red? Because books are read, too; two and two is four, four and four is eight, eight and four is twelve; twelve is a ruler; Queen Elizabeth is a ruler; Queen Elizabeth is a ship; ships sail the ocean; the ocean has fish; fish have fins; the Fins live next to the Russians; and fire engines are always rushing around, so they're red, too.
See? It's just fun. I googled it, and apparently I'm not the only one who remembers it. Although, there are some differences. There's actually a Yahoo! Answers for "Why are fire trucks red?" Some of the people missed the joke, and gave good, long historically accurate answers. But someone remembered and posted
Fire trucks are red because newspapers are red. Newspapers originally cost 25 cents. Half of 25 is about 12. 12 inches are in a foot. A foot is a ruler. Queen Elizabeth was a ruler. Queen Elizabeth was also a ship. Ships are in the ocean. Fishes are also in the ocean. Fish have fins. Fins fought the Russians. Russians are red and that's why fire trucks are red. They are always rushing.
It's fun to see the differences. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes this game. I was worried for a moment; when I tried to search online for logical fallacy games, not much turned up. I'm itching to come up with a new one, a really good one. Want to help me write it?

No comments: