Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Counting Down

I found this fun "ticker" on a vague relative's blog (she's a lot closer to her due date than I am, though). I thought it was pretty cute. The one part that I was stumped on was where it wanted me to type a name for the baby.

Uhm, this little boy is "Squid" until he gets here. Since I'm due on my birthday - and my grandmother's birthday - if he comes on The Day, I'm naming him after my grandfather, who was an amazing man. If he misses the due date (and Mark's counting on that), we're naming him Peter. In fact, all of our girls have been Peter until the ultrasound. We joke that Peter is a gentleman, and keeps letting the girls cut in line in front of him. So, we've been expecting a Peter for a while.

But I just can't miss the fact that he's due on my birthday. My grandparents only had one child, my mother. But she had ten children, and so far we have given her 25 grandchildren (and counting). Talk about a return on your investment! So far, there are two little girls with Grandma's middle name.

But Grandpa's name was George. Not a lot of takers. I, however, happen to really like the name George. It means "fight the good fight" and "plow the earth". What better things could you ask for in a son than one who stands up for the right, and who is a hard worker? So, Peter or George, we won't know for sure until Squid actually gets here.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of tickers, but most of them are too loud or too weird or sparkly and animated. That works for some people, but I'm not really a sparkly person (although I am kinda loud and kinda weird...). But this one, I like. So, thanks to Kizzy Westover for showing me the way.

OK, now that I am looking at it, it's cute, but a little depressing. 85 days to go?! Ugh.

2 comments:

Jan said...

The countdown thing is cute -- but I agree, when it's still 85 days to go it could get depressing.

Kizzie said...

Glad I could help you find you a decent ticker, I think it's pretty cute too. I'm not into the tacky internet-bling ones! :) (I hope that wasn't rude!!)

Also, I love the meaning of the name George. And it's really not a common name these days, which is nice too.
I love old fashioned names, good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!!