But I had planned for it, to be sure there was some kind of hurrah. And I think it went well. I must give credit to the awesomeness that is Natalie, over at 100% Cottam, for this idea. She is a veritable clearinghouse of awesomeness and ideas, to be sure.
It works like this: you get some kind of round candy (more is better). The evening before the special day - while it's still light...we waited a little too long, so were doing it by porch light - round up the little chiddlers and tell them you're going to plant lollipops. Give them each a handful of the candy, and show them how to plant lollipop seeds:
Plant one, eat one; plant one, eat two...repeat. We planted ours by simply dropping them on the lawn. I chose those little round SweetTart candies, because they were yummy and brightly colored.
Yvette was tired - it was late! - and rather grumpy, so she belligerently stood on the porch, eating all her seeds and planting none of them. We tried to get her excited about it, but she just didn't see the value of dropping any candy in the grass. And that's OK.
The next morning (Yvy's birthday), really early, Hyrum and Charles helped me "grow" the lollipops; in this case, an entire 2 lb. bag of Dum Dum suckers. We pushed the sticks just far enough into the lawn so that they stood up like little Willie Wonka mushrooms. We also picked up all the gooey, sticky-from-the-dew SweetTarts from the night before, so as to not give the magic away. That's why it's nice to get something brightly colored: easy to spot!
In their little jammies, bare foot and bedhead, they scurried around, picking sucker after sucker. Yvette kept saying, "The suckers are growing on my birthday!"
2 comments:
so fun! i'm so glad you did it and that they liked it! it's definitely a favorite tradition around here...
I can't believe how BIG Yvette is. I remember how small she was as a baby and that seemed like yesterday... Your children are growing way too quick Amber!
Post a Comment