Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Big Sis

The oldest girl in my family - meaning, the children my mother gave birth to - had her birthday on Sunday. And I - charlatan that I am - have STILL not called her.

I kept thinking about it. I thought about it several times on her day. But it only popped into my head at those moments that aren't' designed for flexibility: while teaching the lesson to the CTR 5 class; while having a planning meeting with a member of the Branch Presidency for the upcoming Seminary year; during Sacrament; while I was driving home; as I was changing the baby....it kept coming to me over and over. But by the time I was near a phone (yeah, no cell phone) or had washed my hands or the closing prayer was over, something else crowded it out of my head.

I used to be queen of family events and special personal occasions. Until recently, I knew the ages and birthdays of every person in my entire extended family, both clans. I sent cards, I called people, I even called other people to remind them to call people.

I've lost my touch.

It's not that I haven't thought about it (I'm posting a blog about it, for Heaven's sake). Her birthday has been on my calendar since I bought it. Every Sunday afternoon, Mark and I sit down - he with his huge planner and me with my fridge calendar - to plan the chaos that is our lives, and coordinate as best we can. We talk over what's coming up in the next seven days, and then we look ahead for the next few weeks, and if magically the children are self-contained for that long, we do a little long-range planning. (For example, mark your calendars, Hyrum will be ordained a deacon October 11th. Big party here in the 'Ville. Be there.)

You see, I knew it was coming up. I made notes - mental ones and physical ones - to
  1. drop a card in the mail (fail)
  2. post something sassy and cute on her facebook profile (fail)
  3. call her! (fail)
I'm such a failure. Geo and I are close, always have been. There is no excuse. I mean, I could say that it's because there are two time zones between us. Or that I have six kids. Or that we just saw each other a lot at the family reunion. Or that I'm too embarrassed by the fact that I missed her daughter's birthday just three weeks ago.

Whatever. Just excuses. And miserable ones, at that.

So, to my Pacific Belle sister-friend, I'm sorry. I love you. I owe you something big and homemade and chocolatey, but I can't afford the postage. And because there probably isn't anything else I can do to make you more irritated with me, this is me posting your Senior Picture on my blog.



Happy Birthday.


(Yes, OK? I'm calling her right now!...)

No comments: