Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Thursday, August 20, 2009

That's What I Said

We are blessed with a GREAT house. It's this amazing 102 year-old brick thing, just inside city limits, with a fabulously large yard. The house is roomy enough for our not-so-small family, but not so huge it's impossible for me to maintain. I love it. We moved in the week that Baby No. 5 was born, so we were all glad that it didn't need any improvements to make it comfy and livable - it's fine the way it is.

Oh, but that doesn't meant that Mark and I haven't made plans. Big plans. Grand plans. We're gonna move walls and re-appropriate closet spaces, build all variety of shelves in random locations, and that's not even mentioning the vanity sinks and french doors I picked up for a song at that one auction.

One of the dreams I have is to transform the attic space below the roof into usable space. Our house is one-and-a-half stories, so the attic isn't really tall, but it's tall enough for a play area. I want to open the ceiling above the play room (have to do that for the attic fan, anyway), put in a little climbing wall area, fireman's pole, short little slide, etc., and put flooring down above all the ceilings, insulate the underside of the roof deck, install a couple of SolaTubes or skylights or whatever, paint everything is bright, cheery colors, put down a few bean bags or body pillows, and voila! Useful space for my kids to claim and make their own.

Mark has let me know that is at the bottom of the list. If it even ever makes it on the list. Not an idea he values at the moment, I know. It's OK. When it's time, we'll revisit the discussion.

But in the mean time, I got a mailer from CedarWorks (that amazing play structure company whose products I shamelessly covet and scheme to recreate in my own yard on my limited budget).

They have introduced an entire line of indoor play structures. They even have a blog - which I had to read - talking about the stroke of genius that inspired it, the development process and the photo shoot and whatnot.



And it is EVERYTHING I have been planning for! It's amazing. I looked at the pictures, and it was if they had been watching my little fishy ideas swimming around in my little think tank. It's brilliant, I tell you.

I'm not at all upset that they capitalized on it first, that they're selling the sets starting just under $1k. I'm just thrilled that I have a visual to show my highly visual spouse.

Now.he.gets.it.
(I think) .

1 comment:

Aaron and Melissa said...

These are absolutely incredible. Even though Cedarworks capitalized on it first, I have to thank you for your original idea(s)!! These are amazing!! I've never even heard of this company... Now I must share this wealth of knowledge with my husband and start begging!!!