Do you remember all the way back in the Spring when I shamelessly solicited you, my readers, to be part of the Birthday Card Shower we threw for my little Eliza? It is with a sheepish posture that I post the report on that event, because it is now August. [*ugh* I am unable to communicate to you how much it is killing me to not be posting here!]
I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of postal love and affection you all sent to my daughter. Here are pictures of 'Liza with her Wall of Wonder. She received over 40 cards - not all of which are pictured here, as some she wanted to haul around with here everywhere she went.
For over three weeks, getting the mail was her sole privilege and joy. I think the mailman thought something strange was going on, because the children all were on the lookout on Eliza's behalf.
It became a ritual every morning: get the mail, clear the table and all of us stand around while Eliza opened cards. It was my job to read them out loud to everyone, and tell her how we knew the sender. She loved every minute of the special attention. She only lorded it over the older kids just a wee bit (not that I condone that, and I gently reminded her to be Christlike, but in her defense, she is on the receiving end a lot).
Our friends and family sent cards with confetti, balloons, stickers, coloring activities, and lots and lots of birthday money! I had asked if it was possible to slip five pennies in the card - since she was turning five - and so many of you went WAY above and beyond! After paying tithing and holding out $5 for shopping at the toy store, she deposited $47 in her savings account. It was so cute at the bank, they let her sit up on the counter so she could see the coin sorting machine tallying up her money. All the tellers thought she was just this precocious little thing.
Eliza was ecstatic to get piles and piles of pennies, quarters, nickles, dimes, dollar bills, five dollar bills, and even a $10! One family sent one coin of each kind, including a dollar coin and a half dollar. She thought that was pretty cool. Hyrum - our original numismatist - was mildly jealous. Another family took 50 film negatives of random, lovely scenes, stitched them together, and wrote a sweet birthday message in marker that you could only see when you held it up to the light. Very cool.
I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of postal love and affection you all sent to my daughter. Here are pictures of 'Liza with her Wall of Wonder. She received over 40 cards - not all of which are pictured here, as some she wanted to haul around with here everywhere she went.
For over three weeks, getting the mail was her sole privilege and joy. I think the mailman thought something strange was going on, because the children all were on the lookout on Eliza's behalf.
It became a ritual every morning: get the mail, clear the table and all of us stand around while Eliza opened cards. It was my job to read them out loud to everyone, and tell her how we knew the sender. She loved every minute of the special attention. She only lorded it over the older kids just a wee bit (not that I condone that, and I gently reminded her to be Christlike, but in her defense, she is on the receiving end a lot).
Our friends and family sent cards with confetti, balloons, stickers, coloring activities, and lots and lots of birthday money! I had asked if it was possible to slip five pennies in the card - since she was turning five - and so many of you went WAY above and beyond! After paying tithing and holding out $5 for shopping at the toy store, she deposited $47 in her savings account. It was so cute at the bank, they let her sit up on the counter so she could see the coin sorting machine tallying up her money. All the tellers thought she was just this precocious little thing.
Eliza was ecstatic to get piles and piles of pennies, quarters, nickles, dimes, dollar bills, five dollar bills, and even a $10! One family sent one coin of each kind, including a dollar coin and a half dollar. She thought that was pretty cool. Hyrum - our original numismatist - was mildly jealous. Another family took 50 film negatives of random, lovely scenes, stitched them together, and wrote a sweet birthday message in marker that you could only see when you held it up to the light. Very cool.
Eliza got cards from England and Canada, and from all over the U.S. of A. This birthday banner made entirely out of pennies came all the way from Ohio. I was blown away by the response we got.
And, as it happened, on her actual birthday, she chose Birthday Option #3, so Mark and took her out to see...uhm, danggit! It wasn't even 90 days ago, and I can't remember! But she loved it! She dressed up in her birthday dress (after-Easter clearance amazingness), and you can see by the look on her face that she felt very special.
And, as it happened, on her actual birthday, she chose Birthday Option #3, so Mark and took her out to see...uhm, danggit! It wasn't even 90 days ago, and I can't remember! But she loved it! She dressed up in her birthday dress (after-Easter clearance amazingness), and you can see by the look on her face that she felt very special.
Thank you all for being part of it. I wish I could tell you truly how much it meant to her...and to me.
1 comment:
I'm glad it was such a wonderful experience for her! I might steal that idea for Madelyn one of these days!
Post a Comment