I am surrounding by amazing women who throw spectacular parties. And then blog about them. I am in love with so many party ideas. I'm itching to do something, and do it in grand high style. I have seven children, so I would never run out of opportunities. But I have seven children, so I don't think I'm ever going to be the Maven of Amazing Parties.
Lucy and her party-going pals at the (indoor) picnic tea party
May is particularly tricky for me. I have three daughters celebrating birthdays this month. I have gorgeous plans for each of them. Every time. I lack the stamina to follow through. *sigh*
The Birthday Girl
Lucy's comes first. Her original birthday plans changed the day before her birthday. So I was scrambling to come up with a Plan B. We talked about it, and she decided she wanted a picnic. I envisioned a lovely tea party at the park, lush colors and pretty dresses.
Everyone posed on the couch (Lucy got the huge yellow flower as a birthday present).
In reality, it was a fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants affair. We were rushing to the store for picnic-ish food 45 minutes before the party was due to start. The batteries in my camera died before I could get any pictures. It rained. I didn't get to decorate anything. No one wore a pretty dress.
The requisite goof shot
BUT!
At the end of the day, when her daddy asked how her birthday party went, Lucy shouted that it was "AWESOME!" She got everything she wanted: all the people she invited came. They got to play in the rain (bonus!). She got an extra hour of party time above and beyond what was scheduled. She got cheesecake. And just before bedtime, it rained really hard. And she got to play in the rain again (bigger bonus!). Birthday Lucy went to bed a very happy girl.
Part of the fun is hamming it up for the camera, right?
So, my job now is to let it go. Lucy loved it. It's not the decorations or the glossy, colorful coordinating invitations and plates and napkins. It's friends, and laughing, and making memories. And some tasty food. And maybe some nifty gifties.
Good luck with that.
3 comments:
It looks like Lucy had a GRAND time!!
Emma is making plans for this weekend and I am freaking out going how can I make it the best one yet!? But really she will love it no matter what!
I always have good intentions that go down the toilet - and I only have two! No worries, looks like it was perfect :D
oh, parties! One of my many banes. It always sounds so perfect.
It never meets the vision in my head.
It always stresses me out.
I always close the door as the last guest leaves and think, "I don't have to do that again for a year" and think the happy dance in my head because I am too traumatized to dance it.
I think your party food looked lovely.
Atta girl, girl! I would have loved your picnic.
Post a Comment