The 10th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Covet
Maybe you have this problem? I think I am on every one's Rolodex. When Mark and I moved to the 'Ville, I started getting every catalog under the sun. Some I have gotten in the past - and even ordered from - but some were new. During the holiday season, (which, according to the United States Postal Service, began in October), we were getting five or six catalogs a day! It's so hard for this material girl. The best thing for me to do is take each catalog out of the mailbox and put it directly in the paper-recycling bin. Do not pass go. Do not look inside. Do not see all the wonderful ideas for gifts and presents and family activities. We're on a budget, here! We have long-term goals! There are wonderful and cool things we are planning and saving for (like the two-week trip to the UK for our 15th wedding anniversary in 2011, and remodeling the attic into an awesome master suite).
But, oh! There are so many nifty THINGS and so much beautiful STUFF! Take for, instance this, from the way-over-priced-but-oh-so-cute catalog, Chasing Fireflies:
The write-up next to the photo says, "Imagine the photos. Imagine the compliments. Imagine the memories." They go straight for my shopping jugular. Because I CAN imagine all the cute pictures and the sweet compliments and the adorable memories. Can't you just see my five kids parading around on our summer vacation in these beauties? I sure can! But at $30 a pop...uhm, that's $150. So...no. (say it louder, Amber: NO!)
Then there is this awesome Valentine Kit from the Hearthsong company
My girls would go into fits of joy and girlie-ness. What fun! It says, "This year, concentrate on the fun of a family Valentine-making project, without driving all over town looking for supplies. Our Kit contains everything to make dozens of valentines for schoolmates, teachers, friends and loved ones." So, picture the Family Home Evening: time enjoyed together, more traditions, craftiness, kids getting to make things with their hands to give away to people they value. What's the downside? I don't see any. Oh. Except the part where I would have to pay almost $30, after taxes and S&H (which is pretty much all of my mad money for the month). And the fact that it's highly likely that I would be tempted to order a couple more things from the clearance section, just to get my money's worth on the shipping...plus one of their AWESOME kites that they sell every Spring...and, well, you can see what I mean. And then there are the wonderful toys and costumes at Rosie Hippo;, and all the great ideas for organization and decorating at Pottery Barn; and the amazing craft kits and supplies - designed specifically for children! - at Magic Cabin; and Lands End and Hannah Andersson, the only places I can find MODEST, tasteful, durable dresses and shirts for my girls. (I have NOT included any links on this one, because I don't want to tempt you the way I am tempted.)
Is there a 12-step program for catalog shoppers?


5 comments:
Oh, I hear you on the catalogs and online ordering. It's just so doggone easy -- except when it's time to pay up. I hate that.
i hear you, woman! i get so many catalogs of drool-worthy items. i've found that blogging about the cool stuff is like vicarious shopping! like, it's been noted, it's on my wish list, and i'm good with that. i don't do much online shopping, either. i like the experience of shopping.
Hi Amber, sounds like the recycling bin is the best place! Why don't you try a wish list, I thought about that recently, then by the time you've saved for each item, maybe you won't 'need' it so much after all! Hey, love the idea of coming to the UK, come stay with us, that will save you loads, we've plenty of room, would love to have you! Maybe you could afford to treat yourself then! He, He!
Love Em
I love the shirts and I think they would look absolutely great on the phoglets! Have you considered trying to make them?? You'd save a lot of money... Eh' I have a hard time spending money on something when I know I can get it or make it for less! I want to see pics of the kids in the shirts, so make them!! (No pressure, really *winks*!)
I had another idea about the shirts, a less time-consuming idea than actually sewing them! What if you bought a value pack or a few value priced shirts at say Walmart and then searched for iron-on type numbers?! It may take some investigation to find the products you’d need, but it might work and take less time than sewing. And, cost less than the magazine, whoo hoo! Okay, as you can tell I’ve had a hard time letting go of this idea because I love it, but I’ll leave it alone now… *Big Smile*
Post a Comment