Well, we didn't know it at the time, but that reunion in June was the end of An Era, because now Grandpa and Grandma Mason are moving to Missouri. They've lived in Colorado pretty much their entire lives. We've always gone back to the suburban homestead for the reunions, and stopped there to say hi and spend the night whenever we were going farther West.
They are building (or having built...) a straw-bale house on Mark's parents' property. Straw bale construction is pretty nifty stuff. It's a very "green" way to build a house. I had never heard of it until I married into the family. When I first heard of it, I thought "hummm, I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow the house down..." Yeah. Little did I know.
Three years ago, March 2005, we broke ground on Wayne and Cindy's house. It took nine or ten months until it was "substantially complete". It seemed like the construction would go on and on for ever and ever. But that's what happens when you do most of the labor yourselves (or your sons do most of the labor, while your daughters-in-law wander around, watching the guys work, and trying to keep your grandchildren from killing themselves while they frolic amongst the construction debris...my Eliza learned how to walk in that construction zone).
Anyway, but this is Grandpa and Grandma's house. And they have hired a general contractor to do the majority of the work. A lot has changed in the last three years. Most of the original workforce is only available on weekends and holidays. And Grandpa and Grandma want to be moved in by Christmas. So, it's really nice to have a professional doing the Nine-to-Five deal on the house. When we come over after a couple of weeks, we can ooh and aah over the progress. We came down for Labor Day, and Mark and his brothers framed walls. Then, this last weekend, we went down again so Mark could install the windows. It was a-mason! At the beginning of September, it was just a concrete platform with a huge mote around it. This weekend, the mote was filled in - thank Heaven! - there was a roof, and the straw bale walls were mostly done. And Mark didn't have to do it! (of course, Seth, Caleb and Nathanael have put in a lot of volunteer hours...)
Anyway, here are some pictures from our weekend. I would put up ones of the house-in-progress, but those are all on Mark's laptop, which is at work with him.
4 comments:
ths link n your post is from a fellow living minutes from me! how wild!
Amazing how it's all coming together, isn't it? Who knew they'd end up doing this? We're still surprised.
wowzers! progress for sure!
It's gonna be two stories? Weird - I thought it was only going to have one floor.
Post a Comment