Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Under Construction

The post about the A-Mason house has generated enough interest, I thought I'd put up some of the construction photos of the actual construction (as opposed to photos of people during and around the construction...).

It would be very thrilling to say I hacked my husband's laptop to bring you these photos, but that would be 1) completely beyond my capacity and 2) lying through my teeth. The truth is that he loaded them onto the thumb drive on my key ring (the one he gave me for my birthday, because he was tired of me always borrowing the thumb drive on his key ring...) because I told him I wanted to do a post about them.

Anyway, pictures:
The concrete basement walls with the forms on (you can see more forms stacked in the middle, and the concrete truck and chute off to the left).
Framing the basement walls
The south-facing view, after the decking is finished, and you can see them working on the post-and-beam outer walls. This was Labor Day. (left to right: Nathanael, Caleb, Mark, Ruth, Andrew, Ammon, Ryan, Wayne)
Mark and Nathanael leveling the outer corner post.
a view of the walk-way/garage that attaches Wayne & Cindy's house to Chet & Mary Lou's house.
the interior framing done, and most of the roof on.
Starting on stacking the bales for the exterior walls: one of the Dawson boys (uhm, I'm ashamed to say I don't know which one, they all look alike to me...), Nathanael, and Jacob.
An interior view with the bales up. I think this is the bedroom.
Jacob posing with the newly-delivered windows.
The house wrapped in plastic, to protect the bale walls from moisture until the stucco is on. The little room poking out there on the corner is actually the deck, which is accessible from the living room by sliding glass door.

While we were there this last weekend, the Grandson Crew finished all the bales that were there, and got all the windows and the sliding glass door installed. They were short some bales, so Cindy's ordering more, and also the other exterior doors. Mark and I won't be back down there with our little crew until Thanksgiving, and by then the stucco will be done inside and out (weather permitting!), and the interior should be well on its way to being complete.

And there you have it. Doesn't it make you feel better to see it in living color?

2 comments:

Jan said...

Go, Grandson Crew! This looks very cool -- fun to see it in progress like this.

heather said...

Woah. My mom keeps telling me about how Gma and Gpa are moving, but now it's really sinking in. And now I wish I knew how to build houses because it looks so cool.