Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Start the Day Off Right

Tuesday night, we staged a "Child Swap" with our friends, the Butlers: Hyrum - who is effectively still an only boy - spent the night over there with the boys, and their only girl, Miriam, came over here for some Girl Time. Since there was no Seminary Wednesday morning (no school = no Seminary), we stayed up later than usual, and enjoyed sleeping in until 6:45. Imagine my surprise when it was not the alarm that woke me up, but the girls rattling around upstairs. Mark and I rolled our sleepy, blood-shot eyes together, and tried to sleep for a few more minutes. It didn't work very well, because those girls came thumping down the stairs and started banging around in the kitchen. Then I caught a whiff of scorched eggs. "Good," I thought, "They're making their own breakfast and I don't have to bother."

We grabbed our things and went up to shower. I was clean and dressed first, so I came down stairs first. And waiting in the dining room, hiding behind curtains and under the table, were all five little girls. When I came into the room, they jumped out and shouted, "Surprise!" And indeed, I was surprised. Gabba, Miriam, and Lucy had made breakfast - french toast and scrambled eggs with apple juice - set the table with a fancy table cloth and my birthday flowers in a vase and candles on candlesticks. There were only two places set, for Mark and me. It was very sweet.

It was, I was informed, intended to be breakfast in bed, but "you woke up too early!"
No limit to what two 9 year-olds and a 7 year-old can do when they put their minds to it. They even cleaned up their mess in the kitchen (mostly) because, they said, "we know how much you hate messes, Mommy."

They were so proud of themselves. We doubled the fun by turning off the light and hiding all over again for Mark to come down. It took him another minute, but they got to jump out and shout again. Mark was tickled, and we were both as rewarding as we could be. If there is a Motherhood Menu, I would like to order another one of those to go, please!

Lucy, Miriam, Eliza, Gabba & Yvy with their Breakfast handiwork...after the eating was over.

3 comments:

Jan said...

How fun is this! I love it -- what great kids and what a fun surprise!

heather said...

eeee! That's the sweetest thing ever! If I tried to make French toast when I was 9, it would have tasted horrible, or I would have just made regular toast and put syrup on it. Kudos on teaching your kids to cook AND for raising them so adorable!

Kristin said...

That is super sweet and lots of fun. Way to go, girls!

When my boys cook, it is french toast and eggs around here too. Great, yummy, easy starter foods.