...people that I know at the temple. We drive two hours to attend the temple. And for some reason, when I see people who live five minutes away from me there, at the temple, I just get this wonderful thrill.
(some of ) The Marvelous Youth of our Branch
So, imagine how my Thrill-O-Meter went off this time around when it was my son. Hyrum turned twelve back in October. We toyed with the idea of organizing a family temple trip to commemorate the occasion of his first temple experience, but between General Conference, nasty weather, illnesses and then the onslaught of the holiday season, there simply wasn't a practical way to pull it off.
And that's OK. Mark and I were content to wait. There was already a Branch Youth baptism temple trip scheduled for January, and that was good enough. It's been ages and ages since I've been part of a youth baptism trip. We have made it to the temple every month for the last two years (not bragging, just tickled pink at making and keeping a goal), and we usually do it as our Date Night: no kids, plenty of time to talk, lovely setting a bonus! Sometimes we have gone with friends or family, and for the year that George was too wee to be apart from me for all of seven hours, we took a variety of child care givers along for the ride. But usually it's just Mark and me.
Mark, my little baby boy {sniff}, and me - pleased as punch - outside the temple
This made the Youth trip all the more loverly for me. I got to tag along - I love hanging out with the Youth! - and I got to go to the temple, and I got to do baptisms, and I got to watch my son be in the temple and experience it for the first time, and Mark was the one in the font when it was Hyrum's turn, and then mine!
andandAND {sigh} It was awesome. My mother often referred to such moments as Mommy Paychecks. I may have used it in the past. All I have to say is ka-CHING: wonderful moment now posted to my account.
Of course, what's a temple trip without a stop at Golden Corral on the way home? Here are the Young Women (love these girls!) and Sis. Goff. This was also the first temple trip for Destiny (in the middle).
Yup, I love to see the temple. I go inside as often as I can. This month, I had the sublime experience to go inside with my husband and my firstborn child. I am grateful he has lived his life thus far in such a manner as to be worthy of the privilege.
On the mantle in our living room, we have eight miniature porcelain chairs, representing a place for each member of our family at the table of the Feast of the Lord. Our stated goal, and my prayer and hope as a mother, is to go inside one day and be there with each of my children, and no empty chairs.
1 comment:
Thanks for posting these pictures. I might be biased, but aren't our YW a beautiful group? And the YM aren't bad either!!!!!
Post a Comment