Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cursers!

It was Heather who started the agony. Now, I like Heather. I do not blame her in the least.  That's like shooting the messenger. Which I try not to do. So this is not about Heather. But it starts with her.

One day in the not-too-distant-past, she posted the following:

ATTN WORLD: You do not need to double space after periods. Please stop doing it, it's distracting.

I read it, and knowing her professional background (graphic design), I took note. "There must be something to what she says. I wonder..." Something about mono-spaced typeface and proportional typesetting. And it niggled at me. But I didn't actively change my behavior.

But the more I typed, the more I noticed it. I am a double-spacer. I can't stop! It won't go away, and it won't quit pestering me. There, I did it again! (but I went back and deleted the extra space, I am trying so hard.)

I flatter myself that I know somewhat concerning typography. The one year I spent in college, my major was journalism. For one semester,I was actually the editor-in-chief of our little campus newspaper. We worked under the tutelage of a crusty old-school newspaper man, who cut his publishing teeth in the 1950s. Many of the things he taught us in that class have been rendered obsolete by desktop publishing software and the advance of the Internet (yes, I attended college before the World Wide Web went worldwide).

Then there was my typing class in junior high. When I took typing, it was an optional class, an extra, fluffy thing on your transcript. And it wasn't offered until at least 8th grade. It took it because my mom was sure every woman needed typing skillz to live a full and meaningful life (she was right).

I wasn't super-proficient. Of course, I was sitting next to a really cute guy (his last name was Porter, we were seated in alphabetical order... probably with double-spacing), so that was distracting. Plus, our instructor (another lovable relic from a past age of skill sets) always had us typing up "pictures". But those habits (and the silly posters around the room about flying elbows and lazy wrists) have never left me. I think they are part of me on a cellular level. Double-spacing certainly seems to be. Can't. Not. Double. Space.

Then, the final blow. Heather shared an article that illuminated and delineated the crime of double-spacing. I read it (you should too!). I agreed with it. I was enlightened by it. I enjoyed it. I cannot seem to stop myself.

So, for now, I am hounded by my habit. It is taking up an illegitimate amount of space in my consciousness. I constantly go back and eliminate the extra space. I'm terribly inconsistent about it. Or I debate with myself, should I leave it? Should I go back and fix it? Does it matter? Will anyone notice? Why do I care so much? Stop it! Stop!

(double-space)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my Amber...I am so worried about spelling things right I don't even take the time to see if my (.) is in the right place or has 1 or 2 spaces after it!

Rebecca Blevins said...

I learned typing from that old Mavis Beacon typing program. It taught me to use two spaces. It wasn't until late last year that I learned about the "one space rule".

Now my writing is filled with both types, because I constantly remember and forget so fast it's almost simultaneous!

Mom's in the kitchen! said...

Okay....consider me another one who will be a one-spacer from now on! :)

Amber, you are an excellent writer. I enjoy your stories so much. I feel like I know your feelings and that I am right there with you as you describe your experiences. Keep up the good work!

Kelli said...

I also learned to type with the 2 space rule. But when i wrote (briefly) for the newspaper, they asked me to only put 1 space (to conserve paper???). 2 spaces is such a habit that i had a tough time doing that, and had to proof-read specifically for that extra dang space. Now, i am writing for myself, and i'll put as many spaces as i want to. Maybe even 3. Hmph.

Aaron and Melissa said...

I had no idea! The only typing class I took was my freshman year of high school, where we were taught to double space. I guess I need to keep up with changes in the world :)