Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Date List!

This is for Carolina. I hope you get some use out of this, and may I suggest a "babysitting co-op"? At least until Sophie can put her shirt on without help. (insert surreptitious wink)

I mentioned that Mark and I banged out a list of 100 date ideas last week, as part of our ad hoc anniversary activities. We actually wrote ours each on a 3x5 card, and made a deck, so we can pick one out of the middle or off the top, and be all spontaneous and surprised by what our option is.

Since I think everyone can benefit from the free flow of idea sharing, I'm posting our ideas here for you. And I would truly enjoy any additions to the list that you can contribute, please leave your vague or specific thoughts in the comments.

Some of this stuff might sound un-fun or super boring to you, but we both liked everything we wrote down. Don't judge until you give it a shot.

In no particular order:

Learn a new game
Do something silly
Write poetry together (good or bad)
Cook a new recipe together
See a new movies
Go out for ice cream
Try something new
Have a long talk (pick topic in advance, or just let it flow)
Visit lonely people
Read a book together
Service project
Penny walk
Write a short story
Plan a vacation
See an old movie
Talk a walk
Go someplace new
Help someone else have a night out (babysit for them or whatever)
Dinner with friends
Go out to dinner
Moonrise or sunset
Take a hike
Research something together
Read & discuss current events
Read & discuss patriarchal blessings
Picnic
Brainstorming
Visit an art gallery or museum
Do something we've been putting off
Paint something (either art or furniture or whatever)
Write letters (missionaries, our future selves, our children, parents, whatever)
Take a nap together
Attend a play
Attend a concert
Go for a scenic drive
Visit friends
Making out
Camping out
Dinner theater
Craft or shop project
Work on the vehicles together (so I can learn more stuff about cars, plus I like working w/ my honey)
Poetry reading (with or without the bongo drums)
Hunting or fishing
Learn phrases in a new language
Plan a project
Surprise someone (presumably with a good surprise)
Visit an historical place
Go to a bed & breakfast
Fix stuff together
Meditating
Write personal history (either joint or separate)
Read jokes and maybe learn some new ones
Yard work/landscaping together
Design something
Contact old friends
Meet new people
Explore a new technology
Play in a fountain
Visit the city (pick a city)
Take a class
Home improvement "window shopping"
Choose & study a gospel topic
Shooting guns (yes, I would enjoy that, actually)
Temple night or weekend
House planning
Day dreaming
Listen to music
Nature walk
"Five Facet" review for each other
"Five Facet" review for the children
Problem solving (personal problems, world problems, everything in between)
Massages
Organize something
Backyard fireside time
Fondue (cheese or chocolate, alone or w/ friends, at home or at a restaurant, whatever)
Yard planning (landscaping! I'm kind of obsessed with it, can you tell?
Read about sex together (hey, we're married, we have seven kids, don't be so shocked)
Listen to a General Conference talk or a Devotional
Star Gazing
Deep cleaning project (sometimes it's more fun to do it together)
Make a treat together
Bear testimony to each other
Learn new nutrition information & concepts
Sing together
Budget evaluation
Do genealogy together
Financial planning (long term, monthly budget, how much to spend on Christmas, whatever)
Midnight rendezvous
Menu planning
Study early Church doctrine
Random act of kindness (planning randomness = irony?...possibly)
Teach each other something new (be a good student, and take turns!)
"Pay it forward" (whatever that means to us on that given day)
Dancing
Worst case scenario contingency planning
Learn to sing specific harmony together
Work on our web pages together
Game night with friends
"What if" speculation
Make art at a studio

There you have it 100 date ideas brought to you by the heads of the House of Phogles. Anything to add to the list?

4 comments:

Amber Shoemaker said...

Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas!

kaida said...

Definitely some good ideas for us to try on the list!!!!

Emily said...

Love. Love. Love. Thanks for posting. We've had the summer to do list on the fridge for the last six weeks, I think it's time to take it down and add a new list!

Aaron and Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing! We are always looking for new ideas!