Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Monday, August 22, 2011

Smile, Sniffle

I grew up in Utah, on the Wasatch Front. I came of age steeped in Mormon culture and cliches and traditions. It didn't take me very long to get cynical and jaded. I remember as an older teen, rolling my eyes at what I thought was cheesy and syrupy and narrow...Lex de Azevedo, Janice Kapp Perry, Michael McLean; all totally overdone.

Today, I pulled up YouTube, and have been revisiting my Mormon syrupy roots. Each of these songs makes me smile, and some of them make me tear up, and I love it. I want to introduce each of these to my kids, and play them over and over. They're classic. I mean, I can still remember the over-played, over-done phenomenon, but I can see more clearly why people wanted to do and re-do and over-do the songs. Maybe it's because I don't live in Utah anymore, and I have to actively seek this sort of thing, as opposed to having it crammed down my throat. Whatever it was then, whatever it is now, this music makes me feel warm and fuzzy and good.

So, I'm listening and sniffling, and loving every cheesy moment of it (listening, mind you, not watching the videos...I can't be held responsible for someone else's schmaltzy slideshow).


"One of the Ninety and Nine" by Michael McLean


"The Test" by Janice Kapp Perry


"Names" by Cherie Call


"No Ordinary Man" by Janice Kapp Perry


"I Heard Him Come" by Afterglow


"You're Not Alone" by Michael McLean


"It Passes All My Understanding" by Cherie Call


"Oh, My Soul Hungered" by Kurt Bestor


"I Cannot Find My Way" by Micheal McLean
(and, pretty much all of the Forgotten Carols)


"A Child's Prayer" by Janice Kapp Perry


"Be That Friend" by Michael McLean

And I can't forget this one:


There. Now you can have your own little sniffle fest. Or roll your eyes. I don't care. I'm enjoying myself

3 comments:

Aaron and Melissa said...

I can't tell you how MUCH I LOVE (LOVE) this post!!! I LOVE these songs!!! Thank you for sharing :)

Tapper said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these. I can't wait to listen. But I have to wait until I have lots of time to cry and recover. We are all big balls of gooey sap covered in skin, aren't we?

kaida said...

Thanks for sharing! Saw Afterglow at a devotional many years ago enjoyed hearing them again!