Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Nature is lovely, as long as it's on my terms. Sometimes, it crosses the line, though. My mom always had a rule: no spiders allowed in the house. They were perfectly welcome to spin and thrive anywhere but inside. If they broke the rule, they had to die. I feel much the same.

Tonight, after Seminary, as we were leaving the Church, one of my students yelled, "skunk!" My first thought was, that's a little juvenile to tease people like that. Then I saw the skunk run past him and hide under my van. Luckily for all of us, the skunk only stayed there for a moment, and then continued on across the parking lot into the grass. Of course, when I went to pick my girls up from their Seminary babysitter, we had to tell the story, which prompted everyone else to tell a skunk story (everyone either has one of their own, or knows/is related to someone who does..try it, you'll see). My girls got a kick out of it. Later this evening, at bedtime, we were reading in Alma Ch. 45. I stopped to ask my girls if they knew what extinct meant (Alma uses it several times in the chapter, so I wanted to be sure they knew what was going on).
Gabba volunteered: "it means all dead, like the dinosaurs are extinct."
"That's right," I said.
"Yeah," Eliza piped up, "and skunks are really, really, really stinky."

Kids. Gotta love 'em!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Kids are so funny. It's totally worth the time it takes to really listen to them. And I think you're right on the skunk stories -- everyone does have one and it's probably because it was a totally horrifying experience.

100 Percent Cottam said...

gotta love eliza! that's hilarious. and i love your mom's spider rule. i'm totally adopting it.