Mark set my homepage to the Google search page. It's good for me, because I tend to get sucked into reading various articles I see headlined here and there. With the Google search page being the first thing I see when I plop down in front of my computer, I am much more likely to get done what I need to, and a lot less likely to squander hours online reading willy-nilly and yon.
This morning, when I logged in, there was the Google logo, all dolled up to celebrate Darwin's 200th birthday. Hmmmm. It also happens to be Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday. True Story! Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the SAME day in the SAME year. Who knew? I certainly didn't. I mean, I knew it was Abraham Lincoln's birthday today, and that it was the 200 year mark for him. But I don't keep track of Mr. Darwin.
So, my small disgruntlement is this: Google chose to celebrate Mr. Darwin. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the man who abolished slavery in this country, restored human dignity to an entire segment of the population, and preserved the nation, paying the ultimate personal price (read: his life). I'm not sure that Charlie's contributions measure up to that, or that they deserve preferential treatment.
No comments:
Post a Comment