Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Teaser Weather

A confession: I do not believe in you, Punxsutawney Phil. I tell you, it's all a farce, you seeing your shadow. I know, I know. Blasphemy. You probably click your tongue and shake your head, wondering if I put my tooth under my pillow, or wait for a rabbit to bring me chocolate candy on Easter. And, it's true. I'm a skeptic. I mean, seriously. A rodent making long-range weather forecasts? NASA can't even do that. Reality is a hard, unimaginative place to be sometimes, but it's where I try to live. And as such, I can no longer believe in Groundhog Day. There will be an awkward adjustment period, over the next few years. But it has to be. Punxsutawney Phil, you will follow a long list of debunked myths from my innocent past: Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Boogie Man, Sand Man, Uncle Sam, Mother Nature, Father Time. And Santa Clause and I have not been on speaking terms for years.
What, then, is a girl to believe in? Well, Punxsutawney Phil, I believe in The Back Porch Thermometer. It tells the truth. When it says 70, it is a nice day. When it says 5, it is very, very cold. The Back Porch Thermometer said it was 55 degrees today. And it was. The children and their friends played outside in the sunshine all afternoon. Even though it was February 5. Phil, you said - just three days ago! - we would have six more weeks of winter weather. I can no longer ignore the facts, Phil. I do not believe in groundhogs.
Here are some pictures I took on January 9. Outside. At the park. In 70 degree weather. The next week, it didn't get above 10 degrees, even with the sunshine. So, don't take it personally, Phil. Weather is fickle, for you and for me.

Eliza, Lucy, Gabba & Yvy

Eliza, Lucy & Gabba shamelessly posing

Hyrum isn't to big to play

Gabba

Mark fielding phone calls - he's so popular

Mahm! Watch this!

No, Mommy, watch ME!

Yvy is a monkey - she was even making her best monkey noises!

No comments: