Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Friday, February 13, 2009

Warm the Cockles of My Heart

I made it almost a year and a half without being asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting at Church. This is particularly amazing when you note that my husband was called into the Branch Presidency about 10 months ago. But my not-speaking streak ended recently, since Mark was conducting meetings last month, and there was this one Sunday he needed to fill some slots. So I got to give a talk. I actually really enjoy talking. But you knew that already. What I meant was that I like talking in Sacrament Meeting. And Mark picked a topic that is particularly dear to my heart: family traditions.

I worked hard on my talk - in advance even, which is a big deal for me - because I was one of only two speakers, and that's a lot of time to fill with just hemming and hawing if one is not adequately prepared. I think it went well, all things considered...even the fact that our Stake President made a surprise visit to the Branch that morning, and was sitting right behind me on the stand while I was speaking (no pressure there, huh?).

Mark sat nearby, holding my bambino during my talk, but the rest of the Horde were pretty much on their own on the usual bench. I tried not to get too distracted by their antics, but it was hard, I tell you. Those parenting reflexes are strong, but I was not going to pause my talk to say - from the pulpit - "Hyrum, put away your doodle paper and pay attention; Lucy, get out from under the bench". George got fussy as I was finishing up, so when I was done, I turned around, smiled at those presiding, took my baby, and walked off the stand and out of the chapel, headed straight for the mothers' lounge for George's mid-morning snack.

Later, after Church was over, I went back to the chapel to clean up the pew - because, you must know, it's a mess every week after my family is done sitting on it - and I found this:



Awe! I'm cool. Because "moms rock"!

3 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

aww, that's so sweet. and you DO rock, lady! fo sho!

Shiloh said...

Awww. You do rock!

Jan said...

How fun is that? I hope you saved it somewhere. You might need it during the teen years. ha!