What? You don't think that's worth complaining about? Shouldn't it be nice to have three 60+ degree days in a row? Should I not simply consider them a break from the winter monotony and be grateful for the bonus? Well, yes. I suppose I shouldn't complain. But let me whine for a moment; hear me out. See, I never know what's coming. Or how to dress my kids. Or what activities to count on. This weather is totally throwing off my groove.
For example: we had two days in January that were above 70 degrees. We also had several days that were single digit; one even -20 with the wind chill! Our heating bill was through the roof last month (literally, I'm afraid), but my kids still wanted to go barefoot and wander around in short-sleeved t-shirts...just in case.
When the season thinks it's Spring, my children play outside for as long as they can stand it or until it's too dark to see any more or -Heaven forbid - I call them in so I can feed them. And oh! the mud! I despise mud. When it acts like the Winter it ought to be (you know, cold?), they huddle around the vents under blankets, dramatically chattering their teeth and declaring "I'm freezing, Mom!" As though I were responsible. As though our entire stockpile of undershirts, sweaters, hoodies, jackets, sweatshirts, coats, slippers and warm fuzzy socks doesn't even exist.
My children are going to need Season Identification Therapy when they grow up. I just know it. Yesterday, it was mild and lovely. I even took George outside sans jacket, it was so balmy. Same thing the day before. And the three days before that. This morning, it's doing that nasty "winter mix", you know: the snowy-sleeting-rainish thing? I stood at the window and counted no less than four pairs of footwear that were left out in the yard (shed during the we-think-it-be-spring spree of the last several days). I stood watching as they were gently buried by precipitation. I think I will send one of my little barefooted knaves out to fetch them, just because I'm spiteful like that. And I think I see a purple jacket.
Here are pictures of the sheets of ice Lucy and her friend across the street gleaned from our yard. That was just a couple of weeks ago.
and melting it rapidly, because - of course - Winter thinks it's Spring.
Did I mention the mud?
2 comments:
In S. Alberta where I grew up, we had uber-winter for a while, then a chinook wind would blow in, melt everything and we'd have the tip of spring -- and then more freezing weather and snow. I can't say I miss any of that.
I love living where snow is only a sad memory! ha!
I sooooo do not miss snow! I would take summer all year if I could!
Post a Comment