Her birthday was five weeks before Christmas. She got $16 from various relatives. She paid a full tithe and squirreled the rest away. Then she spent the next couple of weeks walking around asking people questions and furtively writing notes.
What was she up to? Well, I'll skip the suspense and just tell you. She was making a gift list. And then she used her birthday money to buy a Christmas present for every person in our family. What a girl! I sort of figured out what she was up to (I ain't Mom for nuthin'), and when she asked me, I gave her a list of things I wanted for real. I listed a few cheap-o things I knew were in her budget, and then I told her, "But what I really want is a clean house, cheerfully obedient children, and a good night's sleep...or maybe if you wrote me a letter, or wrote down your testimony, that would be wonderful, too." And then I went back to what I was doing, not really thinking about it again.
Christmas morning, Gabriella had so much joy handing out the small gifts she had purchased and wrapped. She was very eager to see how her presents were received. And mine? She had used some of her pretty birthday paper she was given for scrapbooking, and wrote down her testimony. I think that's the very best gift I've ever been given for Christmas (oh, sure, that goose-down comforter last year was fabulous, and the hot water heater that one year was crucial to my very existence, but seriously, can I take it with me?). I was going to share what she wrote, but I am dismayed that I can't find it off-hand. (gonna have to go looking for that!)
And that's not all! At Activity Days, she made this:
What was she up to? Well, I'll skip the suspense and just tell you. She was making a gift list. And then she used her birthday money to buy a Christmas present for every person in our family. What a girl! I sort of figured out what she was up to (I ain't Mom for nuthin'), and when she asked me, I gave her a list of things I wanted for real. I listed a few cheap-o things I knew were in her budget, and then I told her, "But what I really want is a clean house, cheerfully obedient children, and a good night's sleep...or maybe if you wrote me a letter, or wrote down your testimony, that would be wonderful, too." And then I went back to what I was doing, not really thinking about it again.
Christmas morning, Gabriella had so much joy handing out the small gifts she had purchased and wrapped. She was very eager to see how her presents were received. And mine? She had used some of her pretty birthday paper she was given for scrapbooking, and wrote down her testimony. I think that's the very best gift I've ever been given for Christmas (oh, sure, that goose-down comforter last year was fabulous, and the hot water heater that one year was crucial to my very existence, but seriously, can I take it with me?). I was going to share what she wrote, but I am dismayed that I can't find it off-hand. (gonna have to go looking for that!)
And that's not all! At Activity Days, she made this:
4 comments:
She's pretty darn special. I love it that she used her own BD money for Christmas gifts for everyone else -- I know you have to be proud of her. (and with good reason.)
That Gabba is sooo sweet! She was telling Em and I about that when she hung out with us. I was so impressed. Plus all the sweet things she has made Emma. We love Gabba, too...as all the Galbraiths!!:)
What a sweet girl! I love that little framed picture! Gabba is sure growing up to be quite the young lady!!
She is getting good! That is very artistic!
Post a Comment