I was told that it was decided I had enough on my plate (I can imagine the PEC meeting moment on this one: "Well, brethren, Sister Galbraith just had baby No. 6, she home schools, she teaches Seminary, she is the first counselor in Primary over Cub Scouts, quarterly activities and the Sacrament Program, and her husband is in the Branch Presidency. We've noticed she hasn't made it to Church on time in several weeks...maybe we should give her a break."), and I even got a thoughtful 'thank you' note for my efforts.
I really miss Primary. It's kind of odd not being in there and involved in the planning and obsessing about Sharing Time or Talk Assignments, or which Sunbeam is pulling her dress over her head during Opening Song.
But now I find myself in the unfamiliar territory of having no callings that demand time, effort or attention on Sunday - beyond that of mother, I mean. So, I get to go to Gospel Doctrine (the ONLY meeting where I can sit next to my hunky EC) and Relief Society. It's sort of weird to just be sitting there, waiting for everyone else to do stuff, and to just let it wash over me in warm, bucket-filling waves. I was thinking back, and it's been at more than five years since I was simply a member of the audience. Wow. No wonder I'm having a hard time remembering to raise my hand before I make a comment...or to read my lesson ahead of time. A-hem.
Anyway. My amazing-and-talented friend, Julie, who is also the Enrichment counselor in our little Branch's Relief Society, taught an amazing lesson a couple of weeks back. It was fantastic - I'm so glad I had some paper to scribble a few notes on - and I wanted to share:
Each of us is broadcasting a message to the world around us:
It is one of two messages, eitheror
The order of our priorities either brings us distress or it brings us joy. After all, we are that we might have joy, right? (see 2 Nephi 2:25) Here are some synonyms for joy:
happiness
peace
contentment
love
kindness
purpose
Joy is hope+charity+faith. Joy is not looking for good things in life, it is sharing it with others. And here is something that about jumped out at me and attacked me right there in Relief Society: Each of us must reach for our own joy. What a thought! I am responsible for the level of joy in my own life. Joy is all about focus. We can share in the joy of those around us, instead of saying, "No fair! I want some!" With Heavenly Father's help, we can create a masterpiece of our lives. We are created as much from the dust of eternity as we are of the dust of the earth.
Golly. Awe-inspiring thoughts. I thought I'd share. Thank you, Julie.
2 comments:
Very inspiring, Amber. Thank you for sharing.
I can identify with the Primary part. I'm the 2nd counselor, and really loving it despite the weekly challenges! Wouldn't you know, Robin Campbell is president. We're enjoying being in the same presidency.
This is why I am so addicted to your blog. Moments like this when I can feel my awesome older sister reaching out and shaking me by the sholders with a gentle piece of advice. I love you. Thank you for sharing. Your kids are wonderful and so are you. You are such a great example to me. Thanks.
Post a Comment