Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Gabriella is mastering riding a bike! We've never had a bike for her, until just this last summer when a neighbor gave us their daughter's too-short-because-she-grew bike. She's been wanting to learn how to ride, but we've been so stinking busy, there just hasn't been a day when we can take her to a level parking lot and let her work it out. But Saturday was the Cub Scout Pack meeting, and as part of it, the Scouts and their families did a little bike hike. I informed Gabba she had no options but to participate. She went through a lot of drama: I can't, I'm scared, I'm going to get hurt, I'm going to my death, bicycles are my doom (not kidding, she really said all of that).

But, she saddled up with everyone else, and did great! She made it half-way before she pooped out, but I was really impressed with her. After the hike was over, I took this little video. If you listen, you can hear her narrating her own victory. That little voice at the end is Eliza, standing at my side, yanking on my shirt.



The very next day, Gabba and Hyrum rode their bikes clear across town to our friends' house. I followed in the van, because I'm a paranoid mommy. She made it 15 block (approximately - I lose count) in 15 minutes. She was so tenacious and refused to give up and walk up the hills, or quit and ride in the van. What a trooper!

5 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

love feisty girls! that's awesome. way to go, girl!

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

Good job Gabba!! Riding bikes is SO fun!! I am impressed at how quickly you learned, and how brave you were for trying and keeping it up! Way to go!

Jan said...

Yay for Gabba! It took me forever to learn to ride a bike - I think I wore out both my mom and dad, as they trotted beside/behind my bike. She's awesome!

Cindi and the Old Testament said...

That is so grat!!! When your in town next time, maybe you can show Michael how to ride a bike!

Aaron and Melissa said...

HI! How are you? I just found your blog through a link on someone else's blog! It looks like you are doing well! You have a beautiful family... I LOVE your family pictures! Just thought I'd say hi! Melissa
(used to be Melissa Ratliff)
http://theclintfamily.blogspot.com/