Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Friday, September 7, 2007

Seminary!

Well, last night was our second night of Seminary. This year we study the Old Testament. I'm really excited. I wish I could get my students excited too. Homestudy Seminary is hard on them, I know. We only meet once a week, and it's in the evening, so they're already worn out after everything else they're doing. All of my students are crazy-busy. Plus, since it's Homestudy, they're required to do all of the book work in the Student Study Guide. And we never have enough time to cover all the material in class. So, they're pretty much on their own.

But we have good times. For our Seminary Kick-Off Party, we went tubing at the lake. I was going to plan something else less flashy, but the Branch President (whose dream job is a wake board instructor) though it would be fun. He found members of the Branch with boats, and we all spent a Tuesday evening speeding around Mozingo and flinging ourselves off of tubes in the wake of the boats. It was great. Since it was a Tuesday, we pretty much had the lake to ourselves. And the weather was warm, but not hot, and the water was perfect. To tell the truth, I haven't been out on a boat since I was 18. I felt all fat and frumpy, but I had a good time anyway. I love my Seminary kids. They're solid.

I'm counting the weeks until the end of this semester, though (14 to go). Thursdays are currently brutal: Gabriella has piano lessons @ 3:30, Mark has class from 6:30 to 9:30 (plugging away at that Masters Degree) so I have to get the kids to a sitter; and I have to be at the Church by 6:00 to get set up for Seminary, and I'm usually giving two of the youth a ride. Add to that the fact that I often procrastinate final prep on my lesson until Thursday, and, well...Thursdays are brutal. At the end of the Semester, Mark will have a different schedule, so that will help a lot. But I can't complain. I love teaching Seminary...can't say I'm as good at it as these kids deserve, but I'm glad they picked me. Now, I just need to finish putting together the Primary Sacrament Meeting Program and arrangements for the Primary Quarterly Activity and everything will calm down a lot more - oh, did I mention that I'm now serving as 1st counselor in the Primary? That's a whole different posting. What can I say, it's a small Branch.

3 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

good golly, girl! you definitely can't hide in those small branches, can you? i'm glad you're enjoying seminary. that's awesome. and primary on top of that?! mercy me. good thing you're a superwoman! :)

Jan said...

This sounds like my life in Tennessee! If you ever want or need seminary thoughts, let me know. I still have my file cabinet full of stuff. (you probably don't have time for anything extra at all!) Hang in there. I know the kids must love you already.

Cindi and the Old Testament said...

WOW-GIRL you go!!!! I know it's hasrd but keep it up it will be worth it & those kids will have such an awesome testamony!
Lots of love Cindi