Hyrum wants to be a Ninja (again)
Gabriella wants to be a candle (currently), but she may go back to Japanese Princess
Lucy wants to be a winter fairy
Eliza wants to be Rapunzel
Yvette doesn't care. I found a cute modest (!) Tinkerbell-style costume,
but she'll probably be a bunny, because we have a warm, cute bunny costume in her size.We have some ground rules about Halloween costumes. I don't mind getting in on the fun of the event, but I really think some people take it a bit too far into the morbid and macabre. So, the kids aren't allowed to be anything dead or anything wicked (Ninjas are out, we learned, because they were traditionally assassins, so that's...bad. Hyrum isn't happy with me.) Also, they can't change their minds after September 30th, or after $$$ has been spent on putting their costume together, whichever comes first. We keep a fairly well-stocked costume basket for everyday fun and special occasions, so I don't mind investing in good, sturdy costumes. Yeah, I'm going to sew them. I know I'm a nut. Not that I adore sewing, but I can make better costumes that last longer and are exactly what the kids want. That glitzy stuff at Wal-Mart and Target isn't kid-proof; nor is it warm or modest. And I won't even get started on my little anti-merchandising tirade... But maybe this year I can get started soon enough to have a little fun making a costume for Mark and Me. Mark said he wants to go as a Samurai, and maybe make his own armor. Uhm, OK.
So, do you have any ideas for Costumes? What do you do?
4 comments:
Yay for you for being able to make them -- I couldn't but I always thought that the home-made ones were not only sturdier but cuter too.
I am one lucky Girl...I don't really have to do either!! My Mom or Sister's always make them for me! Or I buy them...whatever works for the time/year!!
We always like to do a theme. This year I think we will do Wizard of Oz, or Circus?!!?!? Fun FUn!!
Yeah, our kiddos have limited choices due to the theme of our party...It's still so fun and the adults get into it too! Any chance to throw a party...were there!!! I have just had them dress up out of our trunk though in years past (pregnant or nursing or lazy years ha ha ha)!!! Good luck with the sewing! Good stuff!
you are such an overachiever, i swear! :) our costumes will be of the store bought variety. although i, too, appreciate the well-made ones. the disney store versions are amazingly high quality, and if you wait until a week or 2 before halloween, they go on SALE! :)
Post a Comment