Pages


raising my own personal mongolian horde

Monday, July 7, 2008

Short and Sweet (Finally!)

Gabriella has waited a long time for this. For months (nay, years, I swear), she has been begging to be allowed to cut her hair. As the one who has to be seen in public with her, and the one who is primarily responsible for brushing/styling it, I've gone back and forth. She has SUCH gorgeous hair. It's thick and shiny and beautiful. When it's done, it looks amazing.
However, she HATES getting her hair brushed. She has gone as long as five days without brushing it, or doing anything more than tucking it behind her ears. Then, it's 15 minutes of tears and hateful accusations while I unsnarl the dreadlocks. IF she would let me brush it and braid it every night before bed - which I am absolutely willing to do! - or do it herself, there wouldn't be any problems. But she's not. So, the solution was to chop it. There were times I was so frustrated and angry with her, I was completely ready to do it myself, with the kitchen shears. But Mark kept telling her how beautiful her hair was, and how much he loved it, and how sad he would be if she cut it all off. So, always we would relent.Finally - in May, I think - he told her it was OK with him. So, we planned it for after our Vacation. And she really wanted to donate it to Locks of Love. I found out that Fantastic Sams has a corporate sponsorship with Locks of Love, where if you get your hair cut there, and then donate it, the haircut is free. This last Thursday, she and I made the trip to the nearest Fantastic Sams - some 45 miles from our home...don't worry, I didn't just go there for the haircut, we had several other things to do while we were there - and she got her first professional cut and style. They were great with her. As the stylist was layering her hair for the hairstyle she had picked out (sawing through it, really), she kept commenting to Gabba about how thick and pretty her hair was. Anyway, Gabriella donated 14 inches of her gorgeous hair to some little bald girl somewhere in the world. She feels really good about it, and she adores her new style. Except the part where it falls in her face whenever she leans forward or bends over, and won't stay behind her ears, and she can't use any of our pretty hair fobbies now except the headbands. And ALL of her blond is gone. Several people asked me if we'd dyed her hair, because it was suddenly so dark. Nope. That's what color it is for real.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, she looks beautiful. I love love love the new hairdo and the look on her face says it all: she looks lovely and she knows it. That's so great. And I love that she donated her hair as well -- good all the way around.

100 Percent Cottam said...

WOW! she looks gorgeous! and what a neat opportunity.

Chris and Tara Mason said...

She looks fabulous! How fun that she was able to donate so much hair also! What a great girl!