This actually happened back in February, when I was deep in my 1st Trimester Misery, which was why I didn't blog it then. Anyway, there is a lady - the afore mentioned Connie - in our little branch who is a staff writer for the local paper. A homeschool group had toured the newspaper's offices, and so the editor decided he wanted to do a piece on homeschooling. Connie got the job. Since she knew I am a nutty homeschool mom, she asked if we would mind her coming over and sitting in on a day of school at our house, and then interview me and the kids. "Sure!", I said. She didn't say she was bringing a camera, I must say.
So, over she came. We had a great visit, and it was a fairly normal school day for us, so I felt honest...not like I was putting on a show or anything. Afterwards, Connie called me once or twice to clarify a few points. Then, she published the article. It was the third in a series on homeschool and homeschool families in our area. Imagine my surprise when she put this picture - and the article - on the FRONT PAGE!

Look at that! It's us in living, unflattering color! So, for a week, we were famous. Everyone mentioned it when they saw me. I don't remember being asked for my autograph at the grocery store or anything; I'm pretty sure it was just the people who already knew us who even noticed. I think Mark heard more about it than I did, since I wasn't in "leave the house" mode at that point. One of his co-workers even brought in a stack of the papers to give to us. I saved one for each of the children, for their folders. And even though I really don't like the pictures, I don't hold it against Connie. I know that's what I look like when I'm in the middle of a parent/teacher moment. Not very glamorous, but at least I'm good at my job, eh?

Yeah. Lovely, isn't it. Oh, and for the record, BlogSpot's spell checker doesn't recognize 'homeschool' as a real word.
2 comments:
I loved the article -- you guys are amazing. All the things you are doing -- and you're doing them so well.
Wow - that was nice of you to let them in your house! It was an interesting article - thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment